Quiz: Which Exotic Pet is Best for You?
If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already decided that you’re looking for a bit more than the average cat/rabbit/goldfish for your next pet – not that there’s anything wrong with any of those animals themselves, of course. They make great pets, but you’re after a different kind of creature entirely.
So, what’s it to be? A snake? A spider perhaps – or something else?
Taking on any kind of an animal is a big decision and a major responsibility, but exotic pets tend to be more dependent than most on you for all their needs – and they aren’t always just so easy to meet. It’s important too that whatever you pick will fit in to your life, as well as keep your interest, so here’s a quick little quiz to help guide you towards making the right decision.
It’s only for fun – and it’s certainly not foolproof – but it should give you a good idea of what would make the best sort of exotic pet for you.
1. How much time do you have to spare?
- a) Some, but not a lot.
- b) A fair bit, but not enough for anything that needs a lot of long walks!
- c) Quite a lot – that’s why I want a new pet.
2. You find a particularly unusual spider scuttling around in your bath. What is your FIRST reaction?
3. Is being able to handle your pet important?
4. Which of these prehistoric animals would you like to see for real (from a safe distance, of course)?
- a) Those massive dragonflies with their 2ft wingspan.
- b) Dinosaurs, dinosaurs and more dinosaurs!
- c) Woolly mammoths.
5. How much space do you have for its tank or cage?
- a) Not much
- b) Some
- c) Plenty
6. You’re on holiday somewhere hot and sitting outside the bar. What gets your attention?
- a) The amazing butterflies flitting around the flowers.
- b) The lizards darting around the tables after flies.
- c) That skinny cat – there’s always one, isn’t there?
7. Some exotic pets have strange diets. How do you feel about feeding your pet?
- a) No worries – my local pet shop stocks all kinds of food.
- b) Hey, I’ll dig worms and hunt bugs with the best of them!
- c) If I can’t buy the right food at the supermarket, I don’t think I’ll bother.
8. Finally, who is your favourite cartoon animal?
- a) Flik from “A Bug’s Life”
- b) The crocodile from “Peter Pan”
- c) Nemo from “Finding Nemo”
Quiz ResultsMake a note of your answers and total up which letter you answered most frequently. Take a look at below to find how what your results tell you.
Mostly AYou seem to have a strong interest in things with lots of legs – at least 6 or more, and preferably fairly hairy! The good news is that if you’re looking for your first exotic pet, then there’s no shortage of candidates for you to consider, from the likes of praying mantis, spiders and scorpions to creatures such as cockroaches, stick insects or millipedes. A good look around the rest of this site should help you decide – and whatever you do eventually choose, you’ll find plenty to keep you interested.
Mostly BOK, so you never really got over your childhood fascination with the dinosaurs, did you? Well relax – you’re in good company. Reptiles and amphibians are incredibly popular exotic pets and the number of people keeping them gets bigger every year. With plenty of choice available in terms of the animals themselves and the tanks and equipment needed to keep them, there really is something to suit everyone – and there’s loads of information in the relevant sections of this site to point you in the right direction.
Mostly CYou’re looking for a pet that’s a bit different, but snakes and spiders don’t really do it for you, do they? Well, don’t worry – you certainly aren’t alone and there are plenty of other options for you to consider, from familiar creatures such as tortoises and chinchillas to some of the more unusual candidates that are increasingly available for our tanks and cages – the likes of marine worms, hermit crabs and giant snails. A good look around this rest of this site should help you decide.
Enjoy your new pet, whatever you choose!